The answer is both Yes and Not.
Avocado is safe for dogs when it is seedless and given in small quantities. It can be dangerous if you do not control the quantity or remove the seed (pit) from it. Avocado contains a fungicidal substance known as Persin. It can induce vomiting and diarrhea. Moreover, the larger pits pose a choking hazard.
Health benefits of Avocado for dogs
- One of the major reasons behind avocados’ popularity is that they are a nutritional powerhouse. The fruit contains healthy fats and fatty acids, as well as plenty of vitamins for dogs.
- Avocado contains fats, vitamins ( A, B3, B6, C & E) fiber, potassium, magnesium, and antioxidants.
- Fatty acids and niacin, as well as potassium and folate, are all important for a dog’s coat. They help create a shiny gloss while also providing benefits to the bones and skin.
- Avocado leaves some health benefits for dogs, but you can also do better by feeding them foods that are less fatty and do not risk inducing pancreatitis. So if you want to give your pet the benefits of avocado, find a vet-approved food containing avocado.
- The safest part of the avocado for dogs is the fleshy fruit. But vets advise against giving large quantities to them. The skin and stone could also be risky to your canine friend.
- Persin is a toxic agent found in avocados and almost any other part of the plant- including the fruit. Since it is fungicidal it can cause vomiting, diarrhea, and kidney failure when taken in larger quantities.
- The size of avocado pits makes them particularly dangerous for dogs. Not only do they pose a choking hazard for the airway, but they can also cause serious blockages in the intestines.
- Avocados are rich in fatty acids and large quantities of these fatty acids can be dangerous for dogs, so consult a vet before you feed too much fat to your pup.
How to feed avocado to a dog?
- If you’re looking to feed avocado to your dog, keep the portion size small (and only give them avocados without other ingredients) and make sure they have a variety of other fresh food.
- The amount of avocado your dog should eat varies by the size of your dog. Larger dogs can eat more avocado than smaller dogs, with that being said snacking still needs to be monitored at 10% or less.
- Mashed avocado can make a great dog snack. They are soft and make it easy for your dog to chew, which is great if they are having trouble with tougher foods.
Can I feed a mixture containing avocado?
Guacamole may seem like the perfect finger food for your dog but beware, most of these store-bought products have spices and onion which can generally be harmful to your pet. Not to mention that eating avocado toast is not a good idea either.
If you want to make your dog delicious, homemade guacamole, mash an avocado and add in some dog-friendly fruits and vegetables.
Is avocado oil good for dogs?
Avocado oil can be good for dogs in limited quantities. Avocado contains vitamin E & omega 3, which helps with inflammation.
Ankita Sharma is a passionate pet lover and head of content at Pet Food Brands. With her extensive knowledge and research, she provides pet owners with top-quality information on dog food and nutrition. Her dedication to improving the lives of dogs makes her a leading voice in the industry.