Yes, dogs can eat mushrooms that you grow in your garden or those available in supermarkets and shops. Make sure to feed only organic, raw, and unseasoned mushrooms to your dog. You should not feed wild mushrooms as they might belong to a toxic type like Death Cap, Webcaps, Conocybe filaris, Autumn Skullcap, Destroying Angels, Podostroma cornu-damae, or Deadly Dapperling.
Most of the wild types contain an excessive quantity of mercury, lead, cadmium, and arsenic in their caps. These elements are highly toxic.
Try to feed healthy types of mushrooms like Shiitake, White Button, Oyster, Porcini, or Reishi mushrooms.
1 cup of mushrooms contains 21.1 calories, 3.1g carbohydrates, 3g protein, and 2.9mg calcium.
- Mushrooms are naturally low in sugar, which helps dogs with diabetes and cholesterol problems. They play a helpful role in the prevention of fatty liver disease, lower cholesterol when taken in moderation, and have potential antiviral properties.
- Mushrooms can reduce a lot of illnesses in dogs. They contain antioxidants, which help prevent heart disease, reduce blood pressure and help battle cancer.
- The amanita mushroom contains various toxins which are often fatal. The symptoms include gastrointestinal ones like vomiting and diarrhea. Then, liver and kidney problems will also appear. Last but not least, there are blood circulation complications and even chances of death.
- Inocybe and Clitocybe mushrooms have been known to cause eye-watering, increased urination, diarrhea, and neurological symptoms in dogs.
- Some forms of Amanita mushrooms cause issues such as sedation, seizures, and tremors in dogs.
- Sometimes the effects of mushrooms and other substances are more pronounced based on a dog’s overall health and condition. Furthermore, most of these substances can interact with each other.
- Mushroom poisoning symptoms include vomiting, diarrhea, tremors, urination, weakness, salivation, liver failure, abdominal pain, and sometimes death.
- If your dog is poisoned, contact an emergency vet ASAP. Treating mushroom poisoning in dogs at home can be quite dangerous so you should talk to a professional quickly.
How to feed mushrooms to a dog?
- If you want to offer your dog a healthy and organic treat, it’s always best to use mushrooms that have been grown organically or bought from a credible store. These offer the best nutrients and are less likely to cause problems for your pup as compared to the wild ones.
- Fresh or dried mushrooms have more nutrients and are more palatable than their canned or preserved counterparts. Be sure to cook them before giving them to your dog.
- Your dog should be gradually introduced to the idea of eating mushrooms in smaller amounts each day until it can tolerate large amounts without issues. Watch out for any signs of illness, and confirm that your dog is reacting well before you increase the amount even more.
- Just be aware that not many will enjoy the taste, so don’t be surprised if your dog does not take interest in it.
Mushroom recipe for dogs
- Arrange 1/2 cup thinly sliced white button mushrooms, 1/4 cup chopped snow peas, 3 tablespoons butter or ghee, and 1 raw egg to prepare a healthy recipe for your dog.
- Saute mushrooms with butter on medium heat for 10 minutes. Add the vegetable broth and increase the heat to medium-high. Add snow peas and cook for 5 more minutes, stirring well. Remove from the stove
- Crack open the raw egg over the mushrooms and peas. Mix well. You need to cover the pan so it cooks up and then serve it over cooked brown rice or quinoa.
How to treat mushroom poisoning in dogs?
- Veterinary care for mushroom poisoning in your dog can vary based on the type of mushroom eaten, symptoms, and how recently it was consumed.
- To help your veterinarian determine the best course of action, it’s recommended that you bring in a sample of the mushroom. Make sure to wrap it up carefully and put it in a paper bag before doing so.
- If your dog’s vet detected that the toxic mushroom has been ingested or otherwise consumed in the last 24 hours, vomiting may be induced.
- Dogs that are exposed to toxic mushrooms often fall into non-fatal coma states. Your vet will recommend the best advice and course of action in this case.
Are lawn mushrooms poisonous to dogs?
Yes, the wild mushrooms grown automatically on your lawn can be poisonous to dogs. If you have grown a healthy variety of mushrooms on your lawn, you do not need to worry as they are safe.
Ankita Sharma is a passionate pet lover and head of content at Pet Food Brands. With her extensive knowledge and research, she provides pet owners with top-quality information on dog food and nutrition. Her dedication to improving the lives of dogs makes her a leading voice in the industry.