No, dogs can not eat onions. They are toxic to dogs and contain a chemical called N-propyl disulfide. When taken in large quantities, the chemical compound can affect the animal’s red blood cells leading to anemia.
Raw onions contain very low amounts of calories, with only 40 calories per 100 grams. The majority of this weight is water (~89%) and it has comparatively little carbs (~9%), protein (~1.7%), and fat (~1% ).
Onions do not offer any health benefits to dogs. Instead, they are highly toxic and can cause serious complications.
Studies show that the N-propyl disulfide toxin in onions targets your dog’s red blood cells by binding with the oxygen molecules found in those cells. When N-propyl disulfide reacts with oxygen, the result is that it restricts the ability of red blood cells to carry oxygen. This results in a false signal being sent to your dog’s body, which then destroys the red blood cell as if it were an invader. The process involved is known as hemolysis. It results in anemia.
Which part of the onion is safe for my dog?
All parts of the onion plant are toxic to dogs, including the flesh, leaves, juice, and processed powders. Whether it’s raw or cooked, fried or powdered-not just onions but also other members of the Amaryllidaceae family like garlic, chives, leeks, & shallots are also harmful to dogs.
What are the symptoms of onion toxicity?
If you think your dog may have eaten onions, be on the lookout for anemia symptoms such as fatigue, weakness, decreased appetite, pale gums wrinkled skin, fainting/racing heartbeat, and increased panting. If you observe any of these symptoms, immediately contact your veterinarian.
How to treat onion toxicity in dogs?
As a responsible pet parent, one of the best things you can do to stop onion toxicity is to refrain from feeding your pup any onions. If your pup starts to show signs of being poisoned by onions, be sure to take them for veterinary help.
The veterinarian may induce vomiting and provide supportive care after your dog has eaten the onions. In more severe cases, a blood transfusion may be needed.
Onion toxicity is a serious condition and can be fatal, so it’s essential to get your pup to the vet as soon as you can. To stop them from getting onion poisoning in the future, avoid putting onion dishes within reach.
How many onions are toxic for dogs?
It only takes 100g of onion to be toxic for a 20kg dog. This means that a 45lb dog would only need to eat one medium-to-large sized onion to get onion toxicity.
Will a small amount of onion hurt my dog?
A very small amount of onions (1-2g) probably won’t hurt your dog. However, it is a good idea to call your vet immediately. The onion or garlic powder, even in a small quantity, is highly poisonous to canines.
How long does onion poisoning last in dogs?
Onion poisoning in dogs is known to occur within 24 hours of eating onion, but the effects can hold off for up to 7 days. Dogs are usually able to recover from mild onion and garlic exposure, but severe poisoning can be lethal without treatment. If your dog has eaten excessive amounts of either, take him to the vet immediately!
Are green onions bad for dogs?
Yes, they are. Pets should never eat any form of the onion because many members of the allium genus are poisonous and it can be fatal to dogs. Dogs and other pets should never consume red, white onions, yellow, green, chives, or leeks. This is because they all belong to the same family.
Ankita Sharma is a passionate pet lover and head of content at Pet Food Brands. With her extensive knowledge and research, she provides pet owners with top-quality information on dog food and nutrition. Her dedication to improving the lives of dogs makes her a leading voice in the industry.