Yes, dogs can eat corn. Corn is an excellent source of protein, carbohydrates, fiber, and a lot of other nutrients. In fact, it’s packed with antioxidants which can help reduce the risk for cancer. Just make sure that you feed it in moderation.
One ear of sweet corn contains 90 calories, 19g carbohydrates, 5g sugars, 3g protein, 1g fiber, 1g fat, and 3.6mg of vitamin c.
- Corn is rich in carbohydrates. Carbohydrates are essential for fueling the brain, muscles, and nervous system.
- It has a high fiber content, which helps to feed good bacteria in the gut and keep it regulated.
- It has less protein than some other grains, but it’s still a good and healthy option for your dog’s diet.
- Linoleic acid is present in corn. It is an omega-6 fatty acid that helps to maintain healthy skin and coat.
- Corn is rich in antioxidants that provide different benefits to your dog’s body. It helps in a healthy immune system and the prevention of cancer.
- If a dog eats corn cob, there is a risk of choking. If the dog ingests the cob, it may cause intestinal blockage. If your dog has any of the following symptoms, it is likely suffering from intestinal blockage: dehydration, lethargy, reduced activity, repeated vomiting, loss of appetite, and diarrhea. Seek help from a vet immediately.
- If a dog eats canned corn, the dog can suffer from dehydration quickly as it contains a huge amount of sodium. In the long term, too much sodium can result in blood pressure and other health issues.
How to feed corn to my dog?
- Remove the corn from the cob.
- Cook it and serve it after cutting it into small pieces.
- Do not add salt or seasonings.
- Serve it as food toppings.
- Feed corn as an occasional treat and do not forget the 10% rule ( Never feed a new food or treat more than 10% of the regular daily food).
Can dogs eat corn husks?
Yes, dogs can eat corn husks in moderation. They can cause a stomach ache if overeat. Depending on the size of your dog and how many husks they’ve eaten, a small dose could be just fine for them, but more than a few pieces could result in having a visit to your vet.
Which type of corn is the best for dogs?
Dogs can eat dent, flent, and sweet corn. However, sweet corn is best for dogs due to its nutritional properties and taste.
Plant Breeder and Freelance Content Writer