There are so many dog food brands emerging every other day, and as a pet parent, it becomes a literal task to keep track of them and find the best one. And being a pet parent myself, I know how critical I am while picking the right brand and recipe for my fur baby.
KindFull Dog Food is a fairly new dog food brand, but since it is a brand by Target, it is getting a lot of exposure. Besides, their dog food is fairly priced and, in some cases, more affordable than most other clean dog food brands.
All their products claim to be all-natural, free from any artificial colors, flavorings, and preservatives, which is why it can be a great pick that makes quality affordable. But how good is it? Is it actually good, or are you falling into the trap of advertisements?
Today I will give you my honest review of the products and how my dogs have liked them so far. So keep reading to learn more about KindFull Dog Food’s ingredient list, recipes, price, recall history, and many more.
|Products||Type||Special Features||Our Rating||AAFCO Nutrient Profile (Life stage)|
|Chicken & Brown Rice Recipe||Dry||Easy to digest||3.5/5||Adult Maintenance|
|Chicken & Brown Rice Puppy Recipe||Dry||All natural and clean||4/5||Puppy Maintenance|
|Chicken & Brown Rice Small Breed Recipe||Dry||Growth support||4.5/5||Adult Maintenance|
|Chicken & Salmon Recipe||Dry||Helps with a healthier coat||5/5||All life stages|
|Beef & Vegetable Recipe||Dry||Pasture-raised beef||4.5/5||All life stages|
|Chicken and White Fish Recipe||Wet||Designed for weight-loss||4/5||All life stages|
|Real Peanut Butter Dog Treats||Dry||Low-calorie training treats with no artificial flavors, by-products, or preservatives||4/5||Adult treats|
At A Glance: KindFull Dog Food
Let’s have a quick look at the key features of KindFull Dog Food, which I will discuss later in more detail:
- The brand will soon complete its two years in the market
- Their products are designed in USA and AAFCO certified
- None of their products are grain-free, but they don’t use wheat, corn, or soy
- All their products are free from artificial colors, flavors, and preservatives
- The formulas are designed by certified vets and pet nutrition experts
- Apart from recipes and meals, the brand also has training treats, toppers, and dog grooming products
About The Brand: KindFull Dog
- No artificial colors
- No by-product meals
- Real beef, poultry, or fish
*We earn a commission if you make a purchase, at no additional cost to you.
Target launched this new dog food brand on Aug 15, 2021, and so far, they have introduced a variety of dog food, starting from wet and dry dog food to dog treats and toppers.
Apart from food, their brand also sells a few dog grooming products such as finger toothbrushes, wipes, nose and paw balms, shampoos, and conditioners. All of their dog foods have grain in some form or other, but all of them exclude wheat, corn, and soy.
Along with that, in all of their recipes, meat is the first ingredient, and their food is free from artificial flavor, color, or preservatives. KindFull’s dog food recipes, treats, and toppers are made by following the AAFCO Dog Food Nutrient Profiles standards for All Life stages.
Who Makes KindFull Dog Food In 2023?
For those of you who don’t know yet, KindFull is a private-label dog food brand owned by Target. This makes it evident how it was able to reach such a large audience within less than two years.
Their products and recipes are claimed to be formulated by veterinarians and pet nutrition experts, making them high-quality dog food. Along with that, they have kept the prices quite low. This can be due to the fact that it is a brand by Target, and they have enough resources to make things more affordable.
Five-Factor Analysis of KindFull Dog Food
In every product of KindFull, meat is the primary ingredient, which makes them perfectly nutrient-packed. And according to the company, its products are free from any artificial flavors, coloring, or preservatives, making them completely safe for fur babies.
But is it all true? Let me give you a detailed five-factor breakdown that will help you get the answers.
Here I have used five crucial factors, i.e., variety (recipes), ingredient list, nutritional value, price, and recall history, that you must check for every dog food brand before giving it to your canine.
Target knows how important variety is to customers, no matter if they walk on two legs or four. So, needless to say, their dog food recipes have a decent variety that your dog can explore.
- Chicken and salmon recipe dry dog food
- Brown rice recipe chicken dry dog food
- Chicken flavor bone broth
- Long-lasting peanut butter chews
- Chicken, pumpkin, and turmeric Kindfull dog food topper
- Chicken jerky recipe dog treats
Here’s an in-depth review of my favorite picks:
Chicken and Brown Rice Recipe (Dry)
Their chicken and brown rice recipe is the most popular so far, and that’s for a reason. They have it for different growth stages separately (i.e., for adults and senior dogs, puppies, and small dog breeds).
It was quite easy transitioning my dogs from their old dog food to this one, and I must mention that they are picky eaters. So in terms of taste, I didn’t have to worry much.
Here’s a brief overview of their chicken and brown rice recipe:
- The formula is made in the USA with ingredients from around the world
- This recipe has a 4.4 rating on Target’s website
- It has whole grains, a lot of omega-3 fatty acids, and no by-product meals
- The ingredients list is expensive, but the price won’t make a dent in your pocket
Some of the reviews in the comment section said it is not that great for dogs with sensitive stomachs, but to be fair, if you don’t transition right, that can cause your dog’s stomach sensitivity as well.
Beef and Vegetable Recipe (Dry)
This will be second on my list since the ingredient combo was quite fascinating to me, and both my dogs gave quite a polar reaction. Pastur-raised beef is the top ingredient for this recipe, and in terms of veggies, they have dried peas, pea fiber, tomatoes, and flaxseeds.
One of my dogs took no time to finish it, while the other smaller one wasn’t really a fan of the taste.
Chicken and Whitefish recipe (Wet)
Now I decided to try this one after reading a lot of positive comments, and one that stood out the most for me was that it helps their dog to restore its coat health. So I was curious.
And before we start, I must say, looking at the quantity, it is a bit more expensive compared to the entire range. Surprisingly none of the dogs threw any tantrums while having it, which was a relief.
Apart from promoting good coat health, this is also a good option if your dog suffers from weight regulation issues. So if you have a small size breed that needs weight loss, this one will come in handy.
Real Peanut Butter & Oats Biscuit Treats
Last but not least is their amazing peanut butter and oats treats. The best part is they are made from real peanut butter and not some artificial flavoring and are so tiny in size that each biscuit has only 4 calories.
However, they are not the softest, so if your dog has sensitive teeth, you can skip these.
While there are a lot of different ingredients used, here I have mentioned the most common ones.
- Chicken: It is high in protein, which supports muscle growth and helps dogs maintain healthy body weight.
- Chicken Meal: It is a concentrated source of protein and contains glucosamine, which is beneficial for joint health.
- Chicken Liver: This is loaded with vitamin A, essential for a healthy coat, and iron for proper growth.
- Turkey Meal: This is a good lean protein source that also provides essential amino acids and minerals.
- Beef: It is a high-quality protein source rich in iron and B vitamins, which support energy levels and muscle health.
- Lamb: A great source of easily digestible protein and is also rich in essential vitamins and minerals.
- Salmon: Salmons are high in Omega-3 fatty acids for healthy skin, coat, and support heart health.
- Whitefish: Perfect for weight management, whitefish is low in fat and high in protein, providing essential omega-3 fatty acids for a healthy coat and skin.
- Brown Rice: It is a complex carbohydrate source for long-lasting energy and is high in fiber, aiding digestion.
- Oatmeal: Oatmeals are high in fiber, help maintain a healthy digestive system, and are also a good source of vitamin B.
- Dried Peas: Peas are high in fiber and packed with essential vitamins and minerals, supporting digestive and overall health.
- Barley: Whole grains like these provide fiber for digestion and are a source of vitamins and minerals for overall health.
- Flaxseeds: These are rich in omega-3 fatty acids and help maintain a healthy coat and digestion system.
While there might not be something extraordinary in their ingredient list, it is pretty decent and efficient. They have successfully curated all the important ingredients in their recipes at a cost-efficient price.
3. NUTRITIONAL ANALYSIS
Here’s the protein, fat, and omega fatty acid profile of KindFull dog foods.
|Omega-3 fatty acids||0.5%|
|Omega-6 fatty acids||2.75%|
Our rating: The National Research Council (NRC) suggests an Omega-6 to Omega-3 ratio between 2.6:1 to 26:1. And in KindFull dog food, the ratio is 5.5:1, which is under limits. And apart from that, their other nutrients are also well balanced.
Apart from being clean and preservatives free, the price is another factor that has helped KindFull get overnight fame. So let’s check out if it fits your budget!
A 23lbs chicken and brown rice recipe will cost you $34.99, making it $1.52/pound. And the same is for their beef and vegetable recipe.
However, if you buy smaller batches, it will cost you more and can range between $1.77 to $2.20/pound.
5. RECALL HISTORY
KindFull is not even two years old, so it is not a big shocker that they have a zero recall history. Thanks to their clean and minimalist ingredients, they didn’t have to recall any of their products.
Pros & Cons of KindFull Dog Food: To Buy or Not to Buy?
This product has a few benefits and drawbacks, which we have discussed below. Check out the pros and cons.
- Highly affordable
- Suitable for canines of all breeds and sizes
- Free from artificial flavors, colors, and preservatives
- Available in dry, canned, and free-dried options
- Doesn’t have a huge variety to choose from
- Your dog might get bored with the taste
- Doesn’t list the source country of the ingredients
What breeds are KindFull suitable for?
Kindfull is a high-quality dog food brand. The company is Target’s private-label dog food and has more than 50 products suitable for various breeds of dogs.
Kindfull uses a balanced nutrient profile that caters to the needs of adults and senior dogs, puppies, and small dog breeds.
How does KindFull handle food allergies or sensitivities?
KindFull uses allergen-free ingredients and avoids using soy, wheat, or corn. Their ingredients are allergy-free, consciously healthy, and weight-check formulated.
If you want to enjoy the convenience of visiting Target and picking up your dog’s food on the same go, you can give a try to KindFull. They are super cost-efficient and clean. However, if your dog is a picky eater, then there can be a little problem since KindFull doesn’t have a huge variety.
All and all, the brand is nutritionally balanced and gets a thumbs up from me!
Ankita Sharma is a passionate pet lover and head of content at Pet Food Brands. With her extensive knowledge and research, she provides pet owners with top-quality information on dog food and nutrition. Her dedication to improving the lives of dogs makes her a leading voice in the industry.